Your case will be dealt with by our solicitor, Sara Chanan, who has over 20 years’ experience in dealing with probate and estate administration.
A typical case can be broken into 3 main sections:
- Identifying and valuing the assets and debts of the estate
- Applying for the grant of representation, including submitting accounts to HMRC
- Collecting and distributing the assets.
We anticipate that this work will take between 4 and 25 hours. This is chargeable at £200 per hour (+ VAT at 20%). The total estimated costs are therefore in the range of £800 to £5,000 (+VAT at 20%).
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, multiple properties, multiple bank accounts or the estate includes shareholdings then costs will be at the higher end. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information from you.
The above estimate will cover the 3 stages of the case set out above and will apply to estates where:
- There is a valid will or no will
- There are any number of properties
- There are any number of bank or building society accounts
- There are any number of beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries or executors
- There are no claims made against the estate
Please note that our fees do not cover the cost of sale or transfer of properties. You will need to instruct a conveyancer to do this.
In addition to our fees, there are fees payable to third parties. We will request these fees from you as they become due. The most common of these are:
- Probate application fee of £155 and £1.50 per copy
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches at £2 per beneficiary
- Trustee Act Notices to protect against unexpected claims from unknown creditors in the region of £350 + VAT.
The following timescales are typical for such cases:
- Identifying and valuing the assets and debts of the estate: 1 – 2 months
- Obtaining the grant of representation: 2 months
- Collecting and distributing the assets: 1 – 2 months
A typical case therefore takes around 6 months to conclude.